Wednesday 23 January 2013

Fundraising

As I said in my last post, I want to go into further detail in our fundraising plans for this year. We have big ambitions this year and with a lot of hard work and discipline I know that with your help we can achieve it. In November last year we held a trivia night. It was a huge success, raising close to $6000. We have so many people to thank for helping put that night together and making it the success it was. Pretty much everything was donated on the night from the hall hire, chips for the tables, prizes and auction items. We had my parents neighbour do the auctions as that is what he does for a day job and friends that run trivia nights on a regular basis run the trivia. The only downside was that it was pouring rain, was stormy and we forgot about a PA system. We sold nearly 100 seats and it seemed to go very well. I want to say thank you to every single person and business that donated or contributed to the night in any way. It would not have been possible for our night to be such a success without YOUR help.  I will post photos as soon as I get my hands on some. I was too busy on the night to take any but my sister took some so I will endevour to get them of her.


Because the night was such a success we are planning on holding another Trivia night in April. If you are interested in helping with the night or coming please shoot me an email (amyjperdomo@hotmail.com) and I will be in touch.


Now on a different note, I want to talk about our special Microtia/Atresia community. We are so blessed that Aaliyah was not born a few years earlier. The services and information that we have access to now were not around a few years ago (by a few years I mean in the years before Aaliyah was born).

Ten years ago, children like Aaliyah had limited options. They were not offered hearing aids, not offered speech and language support. Their parents were told to go on with life as normal. If it wasn't for people like Simone from the Hear and Say (Hi Simone, I know you read this), as well as places like the Hear and Say centre, we would be lost.




Its funny, when Microtia/Atresia parents get together the conversation can go a little like this :

Hi Im Amy, my daughter Aaliyah is 3 wit right sided Microtia/Atresia
Hi im Jane and my son Jon is 2 with bilat Atresia

There are so many different types of Microtia/Atresia. It is facinating and daunting, no wonder the Doctors in Australia do not know what to think!!!!!

And that my friends is my 2 bobs worth this Wednesday night.

Oh and I will be entering Aaliyah into Sunsuper "Dream". competition. It is a votes based competition, so I will be all over facebook asking you to vote and share. If Aaliyah wins Sunsuper will donate $5000 towards Aaliyah's operation.


No comments:

Post a Comment